Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

One More Sleep

I climb aboard the plane to Churchill in less than 24 hours and there is still a lot to do before I embark on this journey. With each passing day, I've grown more excited about the prospect of travelling to the tundra, and the reality is starting to set in that this is really happening :-)

After tying up a bunch of loose ends at work yesterday, I joined a number of the panelists for next week's Tundra Connections webinars for a brief teleconference. Hearing a little more about each of these scientists, researchers and polar bear advocates helped me to realize just what a big deal this is. These are some of the world's leading experts on polar bears and the impact that global climate change is having on their existence along the southern shore of Hudson Bay.

In between packing, planning & preparing today, I will have a very unique opportunity this afternoon to take Don Moore to the Manitoba Museum. Don has dedicated over 30 years to the study of polar bears and this will be his 11th time travelling to Churchill. Don will be one of the panelists for next week's Tundra Connections webinars.


I'm looking forward to getting to know Don a little better this afternoon and hearing some of his many tales of polar bear encounters. I learned yesterday that Don spent some time working with Gus, the polar bear from Central Park. I'm already familiar with the story of Gus, but I can't wait the find out more details through conversations with Don Moore this afternoon! If you don't know about Gus, you'll want to do a little digging on Google ;-)

2 comments: